Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Different day, same story...

Today is Mom's birthday. I'm having a pretty rough time with this one. I'm in Indianapolis (where I live now; I know, I haven't kept up with the blog very well) so I didn't even see her...but I guess I'm also still sorting through the fallout of being home for Thanksgiving break. It's been a while since going home has affected me this way, but this time it got to me. I make a living by teaching kids with emotional handicaps; I returned home to view things through a new lens because I'm different than I was before. I guess my day job has rubbed off on how I view my mom. I realize she's not a bipolar fourth grader, but some of the same principles still apply. I work with kids who could very easily let emotional issues become an excuse for them not to do what they need to do to be happy, healthy, successful individuals. I have learned how to tell the difference between when they're refusing to do something because they don't want to do it and when they're refusing because they can't do it. I push them each day to try their personal best and not to use their disabilities as an excuse for unacceptable behavior. Then I go home, and I see my mom sit on the couch all stinking day long, complaining of boredom, refusing to feed the dog, opting out of going to church with her family...it drives me bananas.

I guess what it really boils down to is that I miss my mom. And I miss the way my family used to be. And for now, that's all I can really say. I welcome your comments and thank you for stopping by.

No comments: